About the Adding Fractions Lesson
This lesson tells students how to correctly add fractions.
• To be able to determine which number is the numerator and which one is the denominator.
• To be able to find the greatest common factor between to fractions.
• To be able to correctly add fractions.
When dealing with fractions, there are a few steps that need to take place. First, you need to be aware of some of the terminology used regarding fractions. The number above the line in a fraction is called the numerator. The number below the line in a fraction is called the denominator.
When adding fractions, there are three simple steps to follow:
1. Make sure the denominators are the same.
2. Add the numerators together. Place the answer above the common denominator.
3. Simply the fraction if necessary.