Exploring Earth Through Maps and Technology
About the Exploring Earth Through Maps and Technology Lesson
This lesson provides a starting point for learning about what maps are and how they are used. Students learn how the earth is explored from above by using technology; satellite GPS and digital photographs. Students research a country of their choice.
• To define specific map terms.
• To locate latitude and longitude lines on a world map.
• To identify specific kinds of maps and their features.
• To describe the EarthKAM and its purpose.
• To describe satellite GPS and its purpose.
• To research a country and create a presentation according to the given guidelines.
In school, you have probably seen a globe which is a representation of the earth in the shape of a sphere or ball.
A globe functions like a map, because we can use it to find places and identify topographical features (like lakes, rivers, mountains).
Latitude and longitude help us to locate specific places and topographical features. How do they work?