Initial Sounds with Word Families
About the Initial Sounds with Word Families Lesson
While this lesson is designed for younger students it can be used to instruct an English language learner or a struggling older student. This phonemic awareness lesson is a great lesson to utilize when teaching beginning reading skills.
• Proficiency and mastery sounds (A, B, C, F, H, R, S and T).
• Proficiency and mastery of initial sounds (A, B, C, F, H, R, S and T).
• Read, spell and write proficiently the ?-at? word family.
• Proficiency and mastery of identifying initial sounds in word families.
Initial Sound Introduction: (5 - 10 minutes)
(1) Write the letters; A, B, C, F, H, R, S and T on the board. Ask the students to tell you the name of each letter and if they can tell you any of the sounds the letters on the board make.
(2) Review the letter sounds with the students using steps 3 ? 4.Below is an example of the sounds the letters make for referencing purposes.