Learning to Multiply
About the Learning to Multiply Lesson
An introduction to multiplication.
• Students will understand that multiplying is the same as adding a number to itself a certain number of times
• Students will be able to use multiplication to solve word problems.
• Students will solve word problems and state answers in complete sentences.
1. Read lesson and discuss lesson with students.
2. Instruct students to complete word problems.
3. Review solutions to word problems with students.
Multiplying is really the same thing as adding a number to itself a certain number of times. Multiplication makes it easier to solve some kinds of problems.
For example, supposed you and three of your classmates are working on a project together. Each of you is allowed to take 3 books out of the library. How many books can the whole group take out of the library?
You could add 3 four times: 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 12