Letter Recognition and Sound Review
About the Letter Recognition and Sound Review Lesson
This lesson is designed to help Kindergarten students learn and master letter names, recognition and sounds. While this lesson is designed for younger students it can be used to instruct an English language learner or a struggling older student.
• Proficiency and mastery of and recognition of letter names (A-L).
• Proficiency and mastery and knowledge of various letter sounds (A-L).
• Proficiency and mastery of letter writing and penmanship letters (A-L).
(1) Sing the Alphabet Song with the students. Repeat up to three times to engage students.
(2) Write the letters A - L on the board or layout letter flashcards on a table.
(3) Explain to the students that these letters will be learned for today.
(4) Using the letters written on the whiteboard or the flashcards on the table, point to the letter A and complete the following with the students;
a. ?This is the letter A. Say this name with me, A.?
b. Ask students, ?What is this letter?? Wait for responses. (Students should say ?A?)
(5) Repeat steps 1-4 with remaining letters. If students have difficulty repeat until mastery is achieved.
(6) If students struggle this concept may be taught multiple times.