Links in a Chain: Learning about Linking Verbs
About the Links in a Chain: Learning about Linking Verbs Lesson
A beginning lesson in the use of linking verbs, predicate nouns and predicate adjectives.
• To introduce the subject of linking verbs, predicate nouns and predicate adjectives.
• Review verbs and forms of the verb ? to be.
• Have students answer review questions to test their knowledge of verbs.
• Students underline linking verbs in sentences.
• Students also write their own sentence using look as the linking verb.
Action verbs show actions ? run, skip, jump, hop, dream, or hope. State of being verbs do not show action but a state of being ? am, is, are, was, seem or feel.
Transitive verbs are action verbs that take a direct object or sometimes an indirect object.
Intransitive verbs are action verbs that do not take a direct object