Multiplying and Dividing Fractions
About the Multiplying and Dividing Fractions Lesson
This lesson tells students how to correctly multiply and divide fractions.
• To be able to explain what a reciprocal is.
• To be able to correctly multiply and divide fractions.
When multiplying fractions, there are also a few simple steps to follow:
1. Simplify the fractions if they are not already in their lowest terms.
2. Multiply the numerators of the fractions to get the new numerator.
3. Multiply the denominators of the fractions to get the new denominator.
4. Simplify the resulting fraction if possible.
6/12 x 2/5 = ______
In this example, you would begin by simplifying 6/12. 6 goes into 6 and six goes into 12. Therefore, 6/12 can be reduced to 1/2.