Understanding Newton?s Laws
About the Understanding Newton?s Laws Lesson
A lesson on Newton?s laws.
• To introduce students to Newton?s three laws.
• To provide explanations of each law.
• To provide examples of Newton?s laws in action.
• To present exercises that test students? understanding of Newton?s laws.
• To present exercises that ask students to demonstrate in depth understand of Newton?s laws.
Although the law of Inertia is commonly known as Newton?s first law, Newton did not discover it. Galileo and Descartes were actually the first to recognize the universal rule. Inertia is the force that keeps an object at rest or in motion. The law of inertia states that an object moving in a certain direction will keep moving at the same speed and in the same direction unless another force pushes or pulls on it. It also states that an object at rest, or not in motion, will remain at rest unless another force acts on it.