Positive and Negative Numbers- An Introduction with Addition and Money
About the Positive and Negative Numbers- An Introduction with Addition and Money Lesson
Students will be introduced to positive and negative numbers and money.
• Students will have an understanding of positive and negative numbers as it pertains to money.
• Students will practice adding together amounts of money to determine both gains and losses.
• Students will demonstrate their understanding through class activities and worksheet problems.
I. Introduction of the Concept
- Begin by telling students that today we are going to be learning about positive and negative numbers.
- Brainstorm on the blackboard.
- Ask, ?What do we mean by positive numbers??
- Ask, ?What do we mean by negative numbers??
Teacher Notes: Write student responses on the board.
Use the negative symbol (-) when writing student examples that are negative. This introduces the symbol to the students right away.
You are looking for students to have a general understanding that positive numbers indicate a gain of some kind (could be football yards or temperature), and that negative numbers indicate a loss or decrease (temperature again ?below zero? or football penalty- loss of yards).
Be sure this is clear before moving on.
II. Connect Positive and Negative Numbers to Money