Seed Sorting, How do Seeds Travel
About the Seed Sorting, How do Seeds Travel Lesson
This lesson?s focus is to teach methods of seed dispersal. It also incorporates the skills of observation, collecting and sorting.
• The student can identify a seed in the environment.
• The student can identify three ways a seed can travel.
• The student can sort a collection of seeds according to how they travel.
Materials: small paper bag (for collecting seeds)
small hands lens
copy of worksheet, or 9 x 12 paper
1. Discuss with the students the methods of seed dispersal. Focus mainly on floating, flying, and hitching a ride.
2. Pass out 1 paper bag for each student or pair of students.
3. Lead the students in a short walk, looking for seeds. Keep a special eye out for dandelion seeds, milkweed pods, berries, nuts, and burdocks.