Writing: Sequencing a How To Piece
About the Writing: Sequencing a How To Piece Lesson
This lesson?s focus is to use sequencing words when writing a ?how-to? piece. It uses the familiar experience of eating a cookie as the motivation for writing.
• The student can write 3-5 sentences in correct sequence.
• The student can use sequencing words to order the steps for a ?how-to? piece.
• The student can write sentences with capital letters at the beginning and appropriate end punctuation.
Materials: 1 pkg. sandwich cookies
Copies of ?cookie? paper or other lined paper
1. Tell students that today they will write a ?how-to? article on how to eat a cookie. To make it easier for the reader to understand the order, certain words can begin each sentence.
2. Display the words: First, Second, Next, Then, Finally. Ask the students to put the sequencing words in order.